Treatment Resistant Depression (TRD)
Also referred to as Treatment Refractory Depression
Treatment resistant depression is the term used to describe serious or prolonged cases of depression in which a patient is a seemingly resistant to traditional treatments. Those with TRD suffer from a major depressive disorder that has not improved with the use of antidepressant medicines or psychotherapy.
Do I have Treatment Resistant Depression?
A number of factors can affect whether you are clinically diagnosed with TRD. Your physician will want to review your medical history to determine the potential causes of your depression and reasons why you may be responding to traditional treatments.
- Is antidepressant medicine not working for you?
- Are you experiencing side effects that are making things even worse for you?
- Have your tried treatments such as electroconvulsive therapy (ECT), but they're not making a difference?
- Are traditional treatments working a little bit, but not enough to make a measurable difference in your day-to-day life?
If you answered "yes" to one of more of these questions, then your doctor may diagnose you with Treatment Refractory Depression. However, since every situation is unique and dependent upon many variables, it's important to talk to a qualified psychiatrist.
What are my options?
Even if you have tried a few different depression treatments, don't give up. Expect your physician to continue monitoring your response to various treatments and making changes over time.
Your doctor may ask you to wait several weeks before changing your medicines, adjusting doses, or moving on to other treatment options.
Is TMS an option for Treatment Resistant Depression?
- TMS (transcranial magnetic stimulation) is recommended specifically for those who have already tried a few antidepressants or other depression treatments to no avail.
- TMS is an FDA-approved treatment that has been found to be effective for patients with depression, regardless of how many medications were used previously to treat the depression.
- TMS is an established treatment specifically recommended by the treatment guidelines for major depression published by the American Psychiatric Association.